8.14.2012

Today: Randy Strong at the Oakland Museum of California

Blue Orchid. 2011. Blown, assembled glass, 25.5 x 12 x 10.5 in. Collection of the Oakland Museum of California. Gift of the artist in memory of Katherine Grubb. Photo credit: Benjamin Blackwell
Randy Strong (b. 1947). BA California College of the Arts, 1972.

At this stage of my career – looking back – I would have to say I did not choose glass as a
medium. It chose me. My whole life has been making choices that led me down some very
tough paths.

The tougher the challenge, the more it demands my interest.

Of course, 45 years of glass has been both foolish and rewarding. I don't know of any
art form that is as costly as glass – with such a high rate of loss – and is both heavy and
delicate at the same time.

I feel that I resemble the material, both liquid and solid – delicate yet hard – and can be
both opaque and very reflective.

Glass has led me down a path of understanding – of myself and the world around me. My
mistakes have become my most sought after friends. The medium of glass continually
teaches me about the fear of loss, letting go, and acceptance.  —Randy Strong

No comments: